Did you know -
Transgenderism in the US - Wiki
In 1975 Minneapolis became the first city in the United States to pass trans-inclusive civil rights protection legislation
I didn't know that - good going Minneapolis.
Did you know that Phil Donahue was the first talk show host to talk about trans issues without it succumbing to something tawdry? (Link to Transgriot)
This actual comes as no surprise to me, Donahue is a class act. His shows are the first places I'd ever heard about the issue of transgender and the way he talked about it with his guests and audience shaped how I view the issue now. It's just a part of life and that's okay.
Nowadays we have so many trans people in our pop culture sharing their talents with the world.
8 Groundbreaking Transgender People in Pop Culture
- Laverne Cox - reality-star turned actress on the very popular "Orange is the New Black"
- Chaz Bono - child of iconic Sonny and Cher
- Isis King - first trans woman to compete on "America's Next Top Model"
Over the years there have been some very notable portrayals of transgender people in movies and television:
- Hillary Swank as Brandon Teena Boys Don't Cry
- John Cazale as "Sal" Dog Day Afternoon
- John Lithgow as Roberta Muldoon The World According to Garp
- Terrance Stamp as Bernadette Bassinger Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
And there are so, so, so many more! Transgender Characters of Film and Television - Wiki
We've had decades to be aware of transgender people in the US and so many great, positive people. I guess that's why I was so taken aback with the reaction of people in Fairfax County at a school board meeting last night discussing including gender identity as something that can't be discriminated against. Gender identity added to Fairfax Co. schools non-discrimination policy
Maybe I'm naive, but I thought were were better than this.